Friday, July 25, 2014

So blessed

     Looking around at my little house, I am feeling nostalgic and blessed. I have heard from several thousand (OK at least several) people that we need a bigger house. Six people in 1086 sq feet and one bathroom is just plain ridiculous. That our house  is too cramped, that we are all on top of one another. I just smile and explain that I could shove at least another three kids in here.
    It's not just a catty remark. Compared to most of the world, we are incredibly blessed. My little house is well insulated, cool in the summer, warm in the winter. I have lived in a house without air conditioning and insulation before, and I thank God almost every night for my central heat and air. We have indoor plumbing, something else I have lived without (though it was when I was a baby, so I don't remember). We can easily make our mortgage payments. It is our house.
   Yes, I am nostalgic about this house. Not only is this the first house I have ever owned, this is the only home my two youngest children have ever known. We bought this house 2 kids ago! It is also the house I have lived in for the longest time IN MY LIFE. I have never spent four years in the same place since birth. It feels like home.
   In less than a week we ARE moving to a bigger house. We don't NEED a bigger house, but it will be nicer to have more space, especially if God grants us with more children. But more than the size, it is the location. I love my little house, but I realize I am the anti-city girl. The teeny tiny suburb I live in is far too large. I'm not fond of neighbors (even though I have great neighbors mostly) or of their dogs barking at night, or their trucks driving by, or solicitors!!! The house we are moving to is literally parked in the middle of cotton country, with no houses even visible! Even better, instead of being 20 miles from my church, we are 4 miles!
    That being said about size, I will reemphasize my love of 2 bathrooms! (Oh, and boys being able to pee outside if necessary. Can't do that in the city with chain link fences,) Usually when I need to use the bathroom,  so does a kid. I don't know how many time I have joked (sort of)that we should just put in an outhouse.
    The day this house sales will be a very exciting and sad day. It will be a closed door, but a step ahead (ha ha mixed metaphors). So today I pray. I pray for the person/family that will buy this house. I pray they will love it as much as I do. I pray that we will love our future home as much. I pray that, if it be God's will, we will settle down in a future home for the rest of my life. I pray that everyone can take a moment and realize how blessed they are. And mostly, I pray for those who have no creature comforts, like toilets and air conditioning.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment