Friday, May 23, 2014

Confession time!

     I have a rather lurid confession to make, so brace yourself: I am a terrible housekeeper!
     Now, I am not saying this to be falsely humble or to fish for compliments. I am truly a bad housekeeper. At any given moment, you will see mess in my house. I mean I feel like Martha Stewart if I vacuum once a week (to which I know my sister is cringing). Not that my house is overly disgusting, its just messy. Six people live here, and of them all, I do the majority of the housework. Which kinda doesn't make since, does it?
     My mom and I have had the discussion over why I am so bad. See, she is a very NEAT person. Her house is very tidy, and so is my sister's. But, she always pushed us out of the way when it came to more than picking up or vacuuming. It was far easier to do this than to teach us how to and have us do it slowly and sloppily like all children do. The last time she came over she asked when I had last washed my back door. What? You wash those? As far as my sister is concerned (I love you but I'm telling on you)she used to be a terrible slob. When she moved out I had to clean up after her. But she joined the navy, where I guess she learned how to clean, so she maintains a beautiful house. Of course, there are rumors her husband helps and she only has one kid, so....
     Not that Mr. S. doesn't help. It's just that with his work and commute, he leaves by 7 and is home by 7 in the evening if we are lucky. Can't really blame him for not wanting to steam clean the carpets! We have a long standing joke that he does dishes at least once a week.
     Of course, there are always lots of factors involved. I don't know what I'm doing (though that one is wearing a little thin), I have the laundry monster which takes at least ten loads a week plus cloth diapers-must put away the load I folded- the time I have to home school, and the baby needs changed, fed, washed, etc. and then the big one. I HATE IT! Yes, there is the sense of satisfaction when I finally reach the bottom of the laundry pile, but I just don't like housework. When it comes to cleaning the living room or say, crocheting cute newborn mary janes-they are super easy too- guess which I will pick?
     So why am I saying this?Why spill my dirty little secret? One, it came upon my heart to write about it, and two, I think for a reason. As a homemaker, are we not "judged" by how clean our house is, how perfect looking our desserts are? I know that some moms can easily keep their house immaculate (my MIL and SIL are pros at it) and still find time for their kids. But I can't. To clean the way I wish I could would take all my time and effort. So I don't do it. Why?Because I have four little souls who want mom. #1 IS eight and a half, and one day he won't want to play the Firefly board game with me. #4 is almost walking and she wants Mama all the time.  Not to mention #2 wants to play superheroes  and #3 wants to color with me.
    As a Mother, I know my mission in life, the only thing I will be graded on that matters is those sweet souls I was given. If I do not teach them what is the right way in life and why, how will they know? We all must always strive to be more Mary than Martha. So, if you feel discouraged about the state of your house, don't be. Look at your littles (or bigs)and love them,play with them, and pray with them. And then give them a rag and a spray bottle of vinegar water and tell them to "mop" the floor. They will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment